International Humanitarian City [IHC]
The global aid and humanitarian hub
International Humanitarian City (IHC) is a global humanitarian and aid hub, which aims to facilitate aid and development efforts by providing local and international humanitarian actors with facilities and services specifically designed to meet their needs. An independent free zone authority created by the Government of Dubai through the merger of Dubai Aid City (DAC) and Dubai Humanitarian City (DHC), IHC consolidates Dubai as an essential link in the humanitarian value chain.
Leveraging the proven Dubai free zone model, IHC addresses the specific needs of the humanitarian aid and development community, while grouping them in a secure environment that fosters partnerships, social responsibility and global change.
At the same time, IHC offers commercial companies the opportunity to operate from a highly strategic location in a free zone environment that is adapted to their particular industry, while benefiting from attractive incentives and an array of value-added services.
IHC believes that humanitarian operations will benefit from the integration of commercial suppliers of goods and services. By co-locating, nonprofit and commercial entities will be encouraged to share best practices to increase their operational efficiencies and improve institutional learning.
IHC is a non-religious, non-political and nonprofit organisation, chaired by HRH Princess Haya Bint Al Hussein, Wife of HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice-President and Prime Minister of UAE, Ruler of Dubai.
What makes the IHC offer unique?
- A community of local and international humanitarian nonprofits and commercial suppliers
- A fully integrated one-stop-shop, with access to procurers, suppliers and business partners and fast multi-modal logistics capabilities
- Office, warehousing and meeting facilities
- A comprehensive set of value-added services
- Increased visibility and networking opportunities
- A platform for humanitarian information and knowledge exchange
- A socially responsible operating environment
- Facilitated access to job seekers, volunteers and CSR endeavours
What makes IHC a ‘strategic location’?
- A crossroad between East, West, North and South
- Rapid disaster response: 7 hours maximum flight time to major crisis-prone areas
- 10 minute sea-to-air logistics capabilities
- Superb airport and seaport infrastructure
- Dubai’s economic momentum, political stability and governmental support
- Minimal red tape
- Competitive fee structures
- A cosmopolitan and attractive living environment
- Stable local currency
- Free zone benefits:
- > 100% foreign ownership
- > 100% repatriation of capital and profits
- > 100% free transfer of funds
- > 100% exemption of import and export duties
At present, IHC operates out of its premises in Dubai located behind Business Bay. The secure compound is designed to meet the specific needs of IHC members, and includes:
- Office space: 4 office buildings
- Warehouses: 21,000 sqm of warehouses
- Auditorium: 50 seats, stage, speaker podium and comprehensive audiovisual equipment
- Meeting rooms
IHC will be relocating to a bigger land strategically located in Dubai World Central, near the new Jebel Ali International Airport and only 10 minutes away from the Jebel Ali Seaport, and will feature a comprehensive set of facility options at competitive rates, including:
- Dedicated UN Building
- Business and Training Facilities
- Food Court
- Warehouses of various sizes and types
At present, IHC provides its member organisations with a range of specialised services to facilitate their operations out of Dubai:
- Facilities Management: Maintenance and security
- Governmental Services: Registration, licensing, leasing and visa services
- Recruitment e-Portal: Access to online CV Database and Job Opening posting system
- Volunteer e-Portal: Access to online Volunteer Database and Volunteer Appeal posting system
- Pro Bono e-Portal: Access to online Pro Bono Database
- Donor Assistance: One-to-one donor/project matching services
- Events e-Portal: Providing members’ events with enhanced visibility through the IHC website
- Press Office: Promoting members’ latest news and offering the possibility to post media materials through the IHC website
As IHC transitions to its new location in Jebel Ali, organisations and commercial companies registered with IHC will benefit from additional real estate and value-added services specifically designed to support their operations, encourage networking and coordination, while bolstering IHC’s role as a humanitarian logistics, procurement, communications and training hub.
Who can join the IHC community?
IHC brings together humanitarian nonprofit organisations and commercial entities in an environment that fosters effective partnerships and social responsibility, while offering clear legal and physical zoning partitions between commercials and non-commercials in the spirit of security and transparency.
- United Nations agencies
- Specialised agencies
- Non-Governmental Organisations
- News, research and educational institutions
- Manufacturers and suppliers (aid related goods and services) e.g. shelters, medical equipment, food items, vehicles, etc.
- Service providers e.g. logistics, security, maintenance, consulting, etc.
More than 55 organisations and commercial companies are currently registered with IHC.
As a Free Zone Authority, IHC can issue licenses to:
- Branches of international nonprofit organisations and commercial companies
- Subsidiaries of commercial companies
- New commercial companies
Get A QUICK QUOTE
Setting up a business in the UAE can be an overwhelming experience for the uninitiated but we can make this job truly easy for you. Talk to our expert consultants for free & decide the best course of action for yourself, today.