Most people are confused about the difference between specific trading and general trading. Let’s first try to understand the difference.
Specific trading refers to different activities which fall under the same group and can be combined in one license without any additional cost, whereas, General Trading refers to trading of all goods except those which are regulated, for example medicines, alcohol, weapons, arms and ammunition, cars, oil & gas, precious metals etc.
Benefits or Advantages of General Trading License
- A General Trading license as said earlier allows you to import & export of all products except the regulated items
- A General Trading license in the mainland allows you to do business in the local market as well as international market
- With a General Trading license, a businessman can switch to any trading activities depending on the market situation & requirements
- No requirements of paid up capital
- There is no activity approval cost for general trading license in Abu Dhabi
- The license issued has a validity of 2 years
- Abu Dhabi General Trading license is cheaper compared to any other Emirates general trading license
Government Cost Involved
- Commercial license fees to obtain a license in Abu Dhabi is approximately AED 10,000 for 2 years
- The costs include tradename, MOA and the payment voucher fees
- Office costs depend on the size of the office/ desk (it will depend on your choice)
- E-channel Fees AED 7300 (5035 is Refundable) and the renewal of E-channel cost is AED 1200
- Labor File (One time) AED 2300
- Personal File Opening (One time) AED 250
- Visa Cost Approx. AED 5000-6000 per visa depending on the availability of the attested certificates or not
Process for the License Issuance
- Name Reservation from Department of Economic Development
- Preparing Memorandum of Association (Legally Attested)
- Attestation of Memorandum of Association from Notary Public
- License Issuance
- Immigration Approval
- File opening in Ministry of Labour
Currently, a 2 years mainland license in Abu Dhabi, saves over 50% on government cost as compared to any other Emirate. Flyingcolour has formed several general trading companies. Example: In a specific trading license, one has to choose a specific product like food, or clothes, or machinery, etc. Whereas a general trading license is allowed to trade food, clothes, machinery, etc. under the same license.
This blog is written by Ms. Florine Das, Director (Client Relationship) at Flyingcolour Business Setup, Accounting & Tax Services in Dubai & across UAE . Feel free to call us for more info about general trading license in Abu Dhabi or anywhere across the UAE. You can also send your inquiry to info[at]flyingcolour[dot]com or call +971 4 4542366.
Please Note: This article was published on 04th August,2020. The information provided in the article is based on the policies and rules applicable at the time of writing it. Talk to one of our consultants for any recent update or change.